Thread: ACL surgery?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #32
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post

Some posters here get confused about what 'should or shouldn't be included in insurance' from the perspective of the employee on what the employer 'should' provide in their plans for employees. This isn't the proper way of looking at insurance as employers treat these expenses as a form of your compensation in addition to your salary.
Employers look at secondary healthcare insurance on two fronts, comprehensiveness and affordability. Typically, desirable workers will not tolerate a piss poor health plan. Therefore, the question of how long before private imaging is covered is a valid one.

Say I'm a top architect, and I'm offered a job from two companies, one offers me $125k a year, plus benefits, but my health benefits come from Joe's Discount Health. The other company offers me $120k a year, plus benefits, but these health benefits come from a top insurance firm, with very comprehensive benefits. Its a tough call... is that 5k extra worth the cost of having lousy coverage and taking the hit when Junior needs uncovered dental work, or you need an MRI... or is it better in the long run to make 5k less, and not to have the risk of sudden costs? Its a personal choice. We aren't talking basic blue cross offered by Safeway, I'm talking quality secondary insurance from top brokers.

Again, I remind you that health coverage is more akin to a lifetime warranty than insurance. They are made to cover costs that are not covered by basic healthcare, such as prescription costs, physiotherapy, dental, ocular, etc, unlike insurance which is designed to protect in case of expensive, unlikely and/or disasterous events. To continue with a car analogy... its like spending $3000 a year to have all your basic maintenance covered, but being forced to spend out of pocket for what actually needs to be done.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote