View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #72
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Instead they say "I'm putting my kid in soccer because its safe (Soccer is a concussion factory) or baseball because there's no hitting.
OMG, I have had that argument. "Oh we'll do soccer, no head issues." Um, what?! I was told I was a horrible parent for not removing my son from football after a concussion from a stinger (along with the rest of the ouches that came with that). People. It was the flukiest thing, and he didn't get the concussion the way you'd think a kid is going to get a concussion in football, at least not the way I had figured on, previously. One mom was going to remove her son from the team and the game that my son was injured in, after seeing his hit and that they removed him from the field by ambulance. I wasn't removing my kid, and he was the one hurt, FFS. It was a fluke. Nothing more. He sat out the specified time by the doctors and then went in to play a bit less frequently than before, because that's what his trainers and coaches decided on, and then eventually, right back to the regular game play as he'd done before.

I never could convince some moms that we saw far more concussions on kids, when ours played soccer, than I saw in the 3 years my kid played football in high school. Nope, football was the evil awful.

I miss having kids in sports sometimes. Football especially. It's one of my favorite sports to watch and we were very lucky, he had wonderful coaches and trainers which definitely had a huge part in the enjoyment factor. Really upstanding guys.

ETA: I have never quite understood that concussion argument either. You can get a concussion from all sorts of things. I'm skilled enough, I got one from riding a rollercoaster LOL. I'm tall enough on the "you must be this tall to ride" scale, but those doomahickey things they bring down over your head, I still tend to bounce around if I'm not super careful because I am very short, and the one time I wasn't paying close enough attention, bonked my head on the rollercoaster car and concussion. Everything is a risk. We just calculate how much of the risk we're willing to take/accept and go from there.

Last edited by Minnie; 03-20-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote