View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #69
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was thinking about that and at some point, we're going to see a vast shrinking of competitive sports.

The other night I was talking with other coaches over a beer and we talked to the end of youth football leagues and high school football.

Frankly since Will Smith's movie came out competitive sports have been losing the public relations battle. The battle cry is about mass concussions in sport, and the focus on bad coaches or even bad programs.

In our program in the last two years, between two teams we've had maybe 4 or 5 concussions, but two of those came from outside of the sports activities. But it doesn't matter because parents tend to believe a blockbuster movie and don't believe in asking questions on their own. so recruiting is going to get more and more difficult, and frankly its going to go from football to hockey to other sports.

At the same time, its the outside of coaching influence and glory stories of dad's life on the football field where he lowered the boom on some rival, or how he put his helmet between his numbers and left a smoking hole.

Within the next decades, I think we'll see an end to high school football in Canada unless things change, just because parents see the movie concussion and read articles int he paper and don't ask the question of what's actually being done in sports to protect my kid. Instead they say "I'm putting my kid in soccer because its safe (Soccer is a concussion factory) or baseball because there's no hitting.

I think in hockey we'll see pushed responsibility where the hitting element and responsibility for teaching it is pushed further and further along, until someday a kid will step into junior level hockey with little or no training in safe contact and then we're doing a real disservice.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote