View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #64
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coin toss sucks but in the end you need to break the tie somehow. I've seen both ends of the argument, having kids in minor hockey and also being the beer league guy who is playing afterwards.

What I have seen from Hockey Calgary (at the community level) is they will generally bank some extra time after several games as a buffer to any that run long (ie after 3 games there may be 30 minutes before the next scheduled ice time instead of the normal 15 minutes. This usually works out although I do remember showing up to my son's game several years ago to find out they were running several hours behind schedule due to a bunch of games that had all gone to OT. But they didn't short anyone and we all got to play our allotted games. Mind you I am sure the arena would have had to agree as well.

I have also been the beer league guy who had a game delayed (mind you only by 15-20 minutes) due to minor hockey playoff games running long. Again, the arena was very accomodating and also agreed to give us our full permit length so we were not shorted. So we had nothing to lose and it all worked out. A super fast flood before our game (saved 5 minutes), a quick warm up (saved 1-2 minutes) and a quicker break between periods (saved another couple of minutes) meant we didn't finish much later than we would have anyway. But again, this all happened because the arena agreed to it.

Winsport has a bit of a reputation now of catering to non minor hockey (they charge more $$) but it's their business so it's hard to argue and they are within their rights to do what they did.

I do wonder how the AA game was run, that part has not been stated. In my daughter's league all 2 hour permit games are supposed to only have a single flood after the second period. They almost always end way ahead of permit time when it is done this way. We have played a few out of town games that will flood between both periods and you can just squeeze in a full 3x20 stop game if you keep it moving. But it would leave zero time for OT or a shootout. I wonder if they flooded each period and then ran out of time.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote