View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #62
MJM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
To be fair there were plenty of high scoring games when the Cannons played here too with smaller field specs and high altitude air. A pitcher was good on the Cannons if they could keep their ERA under 4.50. With regard to the errors, often it's not even the plays that get scored an error that illuminate the lack of skill. When I go to the games the lack of range of the infielders is very evident. It's more difficult to turn 2, poor throws from third base, and just plain a lot more ground balls that get out of the infield compared to higher levels of ball.

Compared to the brief stint of the Calgary Outlaws and (although beloved) the Dawgs the quality of ball is a few notches better. I would put the Vipers on par with Single A ball. There's nothing wrong with single A ball, but I would prefer to watch single A quality ball involving promising prospects on their way up the ranks than never-has-and never will-beens.

There's no depth to the pitching in the Golden or Northern League though. Sure every team has one guy that's pretty good (Greusel with the Vipers), but after the first pitcher or two it gets pretty bad. Especially the bullpen. There's a lot more depth in the pitching in Single A, and as you said, these are improving, not getting worse or being stagnant like the guys in these independent leagues.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote