View Single Post
Old 02-12-2024, 05:15 PM   #20
Fuzzy14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
One anecdote from school a long time ago is that if a will kit is not completed properly then the court will consider it a holographic will, which just means a handwritten will. However, all the court will consider is the parts that are in handwriting, which, when you remove all the typewritten text, is just gibberish and the will will not be probated. I have understood it is better to just write out a will in your own handwriting expressing your wishes and sign and date it.
I don't think this is exactly correct. I believe, improperly filling out a do-it-yourself will kit does not operate to make your will a holographic will. A holographic will must be written entirely by your own hand and not generated by way of mechanical processes. Improperly filling out a kit renders it the same in terms of enforceability as an improperly executed formal will prepared by a lawyer.

Arguably, you are better off either doing a proper holographic will or having a formal will prepared by a lawyer, rather than taking the do-it-yourself route and risking stepping in it.

Follow-up note: an improperly signed will is not fatal, it just complicates things a touch.
Fuzzy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy14 For This Useful Post: