View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #1029
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
I don't agree with spending that on Bullpen. I think the Jays approach to filling the bullpen is the right one. There is so much volatility, the better deals are found in the bargain bin than spending $30 million on Brett Cecil. Biagini, Jason Grilli, and Joaquin Benoit were massive contributors to the bullpen last year. Who would have predicted that?

I also don't think the Jays are THAT much worse than last year heading into the season, and there's a good argument to be made they're at least as good. Pearce's bat and utility is an under appreciated asset that gives Gibby more flexibility than he's had in awhile, and starting the year with Liriano in the rotation vs the tire fire that was Dickey is a big upgrade IMO.

People need to relax. This team, as it stands now in January, is more than capable of fighting for a wild card spot. A couple tweaks heading into Spring training (backup catcher, LH reliever, perhaps OF depth) and things look even better.
I think you under estimate how big of a problem the bullpen is. It's been the teams achilles heal from April - June each of the past two years. Both years the team basically had to go out and completely revamp their bullpen in order to turn the corner. 2015 they added Hawkins, Lowe, and Tolleson. In 2016 they added Grilli, Benoit, Feldman, and Liriano to an extent.

The team had to make up serious ground in both 2015 and 2016. While they are still a good team and capable of making the playoffs/wildcard, it will be much harder to make up that ground again if the bullpen flounders for a third consecutive year with their immediate competition in the division and for the wildcard improving. Hopefully they won't take that chance again and sign some guys before spring training starts. History suggests otherwise though.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote