View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #21
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Listening to Johnson on 960 this morning, I think it's unlikely he signs with the Flames. It sounds like he wants to be at least a 1B. He thinks he was last season and IMO he really wasn't. He played a tad more than a backup usually does but not by a long ways, and that was mainly because of Elliott's poor play off the hop and because he got on such a roll. Otherwise, it was clear he was a backup in the eyes of management and coaching.

This year, it's clear Smith is brought in because Treliving thinks there needs to be an established starting goalie - he wasn't interested messing with former backups or 1Bs that want more work. So that doesn't really fit with what Johnson says he wants.

Smith has only played more than 65 games once in his career and that was over 6 years ago now. With his age and current trajectory of playing 55-60 games, I would image the Flames now need to ensure they a backup in place that can play 25 -30 games. We haven't exactly just landed a workhorse number one here people. The situation isn't much different than last year with Elliot.