Bouma

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Stone
Kylington - Engelland
Bartkowski

Miller
Johnson

Rationale:
  • Priority #1 is to sign the best goalie available. I think Bishop is more likely but Ryan Miller would probably come with a shorter term so I'd consider him as well. 3 years, 5-6M would be ideal for Gillies' timeline.
  • Ferland on the top line is adequate as long as we can get an effective Bennett line as well. I bumped Tkachuk down to try to bolster Bennett's line while freeing up the Backlund-Frolik to help out Jankowski's NHL transition.
  • Brodie-Stone were excellent as a pair in the playoffs and I see no reason to change the top 4. I'd bring back Stone as long as his demands aren't ridiculous.
  • I'd be content with Johnson as a backup provided we have a real #1, not a 1A/1B. I'm not sure we can really improve upon him as a backup without spending a lot more money.
  • I'm assuming Brouwer doesn't get picked by Vegas in the conservative version. If he does, we can throw some money at Radulov or Oshie to either bump Ferland down to Bennett's line, or play on Bennett's line.
  • I'd be in favour of bringing back Versteeg, but he's the first cap casualty if we run out of money. I loved his play in the playoffs, but unfortunately his spot is one of the few available and we need some prospects to make the jump.
  • I'd also bring back Chiasson in a 4th line role, but he could also be a cap casualty if he asks for much more than $1M. I think Lazar steals his spot though, and could move up the lineup.
  • Swap Kylington with Kulak, Wotherspoon, Andersson, etc if you need. Whoever has the best showing in camp
  • I'd love to upgrade on Engelland, but I don't see any F/A that should be available in the $1M-$2M range that are a clear upgrade.

In all honesty, I think the roster we ended the year with can do some damage with just a few tweaks. That top 4 D with a solid goaltender behind them can make us an elite defensive team, and the forward core, despite lacking a true superstar, is deep and capable of scoring goals top to bottom. Another year of refinement and I think we challenge for the division next year.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote