View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #2305
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Yeah that was my take as well.

Missandei only seemed to address Dany when correcting the translation. I understood it that Melisandre wasn't being told new information.
Yes, I agree. But once Dany understood there was a prophecy about a prince/princess that would bring the dawn, Dany immediately thought "oh, you must be talking about me, because I am the greatest, and need more titles at the end of my name". For a brief second, the viewers are lead to believe that Melisandre has switch allegiances yet again, and now she believes Dany is the chosen one.

But then Melisandre quickly rejects this, saying "well, prophecies are tricky. Both you and this guy Jon Snow have a role to play".

I took it to mean that Melisandre was diplomatically rejecting the notion that the prophecy was about Dany, and that Melisandre still believes that Jon Snow is the chosen one.

I suppose we could also read it straight, and that Melisandre doesn't want to get blinded by her beliefs and following prophets. At some level she believes Dany and Jon are important for the coming war, but she isn't sure anymore if there really is a chosen prince/princess, and if so, who that might be.

EDIT

And if Melisandre really is confused, maybe it's because the "prince who was promised" is the yet to be conceived, incestuous love child of Jon and Dany.

Last edited by gottabekd; 07-24-2017 at 11:11 AM.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote