View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 06:02 AM   #316
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this is purely my opinion, so take it FWIW, but if you're talking about a wholesaler role at a fund company I would be super careful. Mutual Funds are vilified now and have been for a few years. Everyone (banks, fund companies and everyone else) is rebranding these into pools, launching ETFs and moving away from these funds. It's really difficult to say what effect that will have on employees at those firms, but if they aren't charging as much for their products I have to think that they aren't going to support as large an infrastructure.

The other consideration is that a lot of these "new" products are factor models and smart beta type of a thing. Those are not going to be as labour intensive as the old managed mandates and again you have to wonder how many employees that new direction supports.

If you're keen, you would want to take a role as an inside wholesaler though and make your way outside from there. I can't say that with certainty, but that seems to be the track that most of them have taken to get those roles.

As far as actual investment management though, you will need to get qualifications (if you haven't already?). Even for a full financial planning role you will need a CFP or some kind of designation to be hired for most places. To actually manage money you will need a CIM as a bare minimum to be qualified as a PM (and there are other things to qualify as well), or you might want to get the CFA which really is the gold standard.

I'm more than happy to sit down with you if you want to chat about this or have other questions.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: