View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #55
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This certainly isn't winsports, and from some of the comments about parents spending all that time and money makes me think that they don't realize that this isn't about the adults, its about the kids.

I've noticed some things coaching youth players that makes me want to basically at times burn my coaching card.

A) Some parents have lost all perspective on things and made the sport about them instead of the kids.

B) Adult behavior that is not ok in the real world is certainly not ok in the fake world of sports

C) In most things, parents or fathers should not be allowed to coach the same team that his son or daughter plays for.

D) Most coaches are volunteers, we don't get paid anything. We do it for the love of the sport and various other reasons. But that doesn't give any parent the right to yell at a coach, or abuse a coach, or talk negatively about a coach to their child behind his back. Do you want to know the primary source of kids not respecting coaches. Its the parents with their BS "Conversations with their kids. If you want to find out why your kid isn't the starting QB maybe talk to the coach and ask him instead of blasting him to his face, telling your kid that the coach is screwing you, and complaining to every other parent in the association or whatever that the coach has it out for your son or daughter. Most coaches don't.

Oh and here's a big one

E) Kids are an emotional sponge. So when coaches start complaining about the refs, or players on the other team, the kids soak that up and then relaunch it at times 10. If they hear their parents screaming at the refs in the crowd, or screaming at other teams, its the same effect x 50.

F) Parents also need to quit counter coaching their kids. You know son, let me show you some things that I learned playing hockey of football, lets go out in the backyard and the old man will show you how to play the game. I'm sorry dad, do you have safe contact training? How well do you know the game, or the game plan the coaches are running, or the techniques that they're teaching. I've had so many kids show up after a weekend a way from practice and their technique is gone to pot because daddy-o has decided to teach him a heads in block or tackle technique. "Leave a smoking hole son, just like I did when I was the best linebacker in Olivair country".

I'm not saying that parents shouldn't be involved in their kids athletic development. But the whole parental culture in sports has really changed, and not for the better. Its not about the betterment of their kids, its about the parents. I spent thousands of dollars, my son isn't being coached right, the refs are out to screw me errr my kids.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: