View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #53
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
I think there's just too much attitude of entitlement now a days about university education. I read a globe and mail article about the precarious situation of Gen Y employment titled "I have three degrees, why am I delivering your lunch." The premise of that sentence is that somehow it's the degrees themselves that give one or are reflective of the ability to add value to an employer.
I actually feel bad for Gen Y in this case. Their Boomer parents were totally out of touch and still thought a degree - any degree - got you a boost into the upper middle class. They thought it was still 1978. If they had paid any attention to the experience of Gen X, they'd have known that the value of many degrees, especially those in the humanities and social sciences, had plummeted, as employers for the last 30 years have been looking for specific, practical skills. People who graduated with a History degree in 1991 couldn't find work either.

There's also a class bias at work - the notion that a master's degree in English or Political Science should assure you a higher socio-economic status than a 2-year diploma in Hospitality Management.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote