View Single Post
Old 11-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #153
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
When's the last time you had it replaced? Old stylii could be very bad and actually damage your vinyl if the stylus tip is damaged (can't see with the naked eye). Have you adjusted your tracking force and anti-skate correctly? Incorrect calibration can cause the stylus to ride one side of the grooves too hard causing issues with L/R distortion.
Never. I bought the whole setup from a guy on Kijiji a couple of years ago. He mentioned it was in great shape and didn't anticipate it needing replacing for a while. I guess that time has come!

I have to admit I'm quite the noob to the whole vinyl scene. As a kid I knew how to get them spinning, and now 25+ years later that's still about all I know. I have no idea what tracking force and anti-skate is (but I'm off to google that next).

The tips here have been great. I had assumed the issues I was having were amp/speaker related, but a quick test with the Aux In and my iPhone have changed my focus to the turntable as previously mentioned. I'm going to try and clean my current stylus, look into the correct calibration, then worry about upgrading pieces after that.
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote