View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #757
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
^Why are you waiting for that, though? You're looking for someone to offer a counterpoint to your argument that Nazis are worse than Antifa protesters in that particular regard? If so, I don't understand; no one is arguing that Nazis aren't worse than Antifa in that way, and in other ways too.

As to why people are, in general, more likely to act like animals when in a large group of like-minded people, there's lots of research on that point.

I was sort of joking, but it was a reference to the statement, "they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive" - if you've ever had a conversation with someone devoted to postmodernism, it can be a surreal experience, where the very concept of objective reality that can be verified is in question. There's a pervasive reading of Foucault's Truth and Power that is highly suspicious of logic and rationality, viewing them as tools of the oppressor class. As a result, argument based on reason is rejected at the outset, because to engage in it would be playing the game on the terms of the oppressors. Engaging with someone who holds those views like suddenly finding yourself in a Beckett play.

In seriousness again though, if violence can be justified on the basis that your opponents won't listen to reason, well, it's pretty easy for people to convince themselves of that. That seems to me to be far too low a bar to place in front of vigilantism. It's not until you get to the "fists and pistols" part that you're in the realm of sound policy.
I just... I just don't know how to respond to this drek. Its kind of like trying to discuss morality with a pre-schooler. You say, "This type of behavior hurts people." With the response, "But why does it hurt people, when I don't feel anything?" The only response is, you'll understand when you begin to comprehend the larger collective in which we exist. But until then, be happy trying to understand Grover, and the near and far concepts. The most basic of moral concepts are not understood here, or are intentionally being ignored.

Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote