View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #756
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
^Why are you waiting for that, though? You're looking for someone to offer a counterpoint to your argument that Nazis are worse than Antifa protesters in that particular regard? If so, I don't understand; no one is arguing that Nazis aren't worse than Antifa in that way, and in other ways too.
I can't speak for that poster, but there always seems to be this period when discussing issues related to the political spectrum where one issue is so awful it's not even deemed worth discussing (it's a "closed" issue to most intelligent people, like Nazi=bad), so one of the next worse issues gets discussed. The problem is that sometimes this issue is so insignificant compared to the other issues surrounding whatever event, that it seems phony to focus on it (even though it's totally natural to do so). In addition, you get people from the "other side" who are happy to pile on to the issue (in this case, people on the far right taking antifa to task in a way that paints them "as bad" or somehow equal to nazis, as in "your worst are just as bad as our worst, haha") which clouds the discussion with some heavy bias.

It's the same reason why Trump's comment about violence on many sides struck a chord. There are scenarios where it's not necessarily "the time" to discuss antifa, and bringing up that issue can seem like someone is excusing the real issues at play (white supremacy in this case).

It's like finding out your dad is in the hospital and your brother keeps asking about what's for dinner. Yes... you'll have to eat, but that discussion can also wait.

Anyways, that's why I think they're asking. Because using this event to talk about how bad antifa is seems so irrelevant that it reeks of ulterior motives (even though for most people there probably aren't, for some, there probably are).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
In seriousness again though, if violence can be justified on the basis that your opponents won't listen to reason, well, it's pretty easy for people to convince themselves of that. That seems to me to be far too low a bar to place in front of vigilantism. It's not until you get to the "fists and pistols" part that you're in the realm of sound policy.
True, made even more difficult by how you interpret the immediate threat of violence. Can violent words (hate speech) be justifiable reason for violent action?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote