View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #564
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Another thing I would have argued was what about Travon's right to stand his ground. He is just heading home when this guy just randomly confronts him in an unusual way. Is it not justified for him to defend himself from a threat like that.
The prosecution has presented no evidence at all that George Zimmerman approached and confronted Trayvon Martin.

The only eyewitness account is from George Zimmerman who says he was approached and confronted by Trayvon Martin.

But let's for a moment say Zimmerman did approach and confront Martin . . . . .

There's a moment in the Zimmerman trial where defence lawyer O'Mara asks the lead detective in the case a series of questions which, paraphrased, sounded something like this:

O'Mara - "Detective, is it illegal to be suspicious of someone?"

Detective Sorino: "Not to my knowledge sir."

O'Mara - "Detective, is it illegal to follow someone?"

Sorino - "Not to my knowledge."

O'Mara - "Is it illegal to approach someone and talk to them?"

Sorino - "Not to my knowledge sir"

O'Mara - "Is it illegal to follow someone, approach them and ask them what they are doing in your neighbourhood?"

Sorino - "Not to my knowledge sir."

Case in point. I live at the end of a dead-end road on my country acreage. There are two other residences behind me or further up the hill above me and a turn-around for the school-bus. The view is rather fantastic so periodically people will drive up our dead-end road and park for a few minutes, overlooking my house. Hunters also park there in season.

If some teenage males in hoodies in a half ton linger on the turnaround in their vehicle, overlooking my house, am I committing a crime by 1) being suspicious they MIGHT be scoping my house for a later nocturnal visit and 2) have I committed a crime if I were to walk up to their vehicle, knock on their window and ask them why they are parked there?

Yes or no to those two questions.

Again, the prosecution has presented zero evidence confirming George Zimmerman walked up to Trayvon Martin and asked him what he was doing in the neighbourhood. The only confirmation we have is that Zimmerman followed Martin for a while.

The prosecution has also deliberately avoided the use of the term "racial profiling." Both sides concede Zimmerman profiled Martin as a potential thief.

Cowperson