View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #26
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
They don't know yet. It will surfac somewhere just north of 16th ave. The other end? They haven't decided on a final route yet. If the arena goes ahead, I'm sure it will be on 12th. They then have to decide if that will be surface or underground station there. If underground, do they continue under the Elbow? If there is no arena, it may even go on 10th, probably at surface. It's all undecided as of yet.
Yes. If you look at the map, there is a yellowed area that says "TBD" in the Beltline section.

It is important to note that this is a recommendation at this point. The vertical and horizontal alignments are still to be determined by council, as well as the phasing. You may see some wiggling one way or the other, new funding, etc.

Overall though, if this is close to what the first phase looks like, then I'm glad. It may be disappointing to see the track mileage of the eventual built-out Green Line be reduced to this, but this is a much, much better outcome than scrimping and saving on the central sections and losing out long-term on quality of service, speed, safety and street-level neighbourhood quality. As others have said, the proposed northern and southern termini set the stage for relatively easy expansion as new funding becomes available (possibly even while the first phase is under construction or even starts).

Shepard will be just fine for feeder buses for awhile, which will radiate largely south along 52nd Street. If they build the 16th Avenue station right in terms of bus loops and station access, it will be a little trickier in the north but doable.

If this arrangement holds, I could see the next logical expansions being to McKnight, then Beddington, then North Pointe in the north. For the south, it could be Mackenzie Towne, then Auburn Bay, then Seton.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post: