View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #60
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

The fence thing is a sticky situation. There is no legal obligation to pay for it if you don't do the work. I can totally see the "it's a dick move" argument, but communication in a fence build is sooooo bloody important. The way I look at it you are 5 levels of crazy if you even consider the idea of a fence without having a sit-down with the neighbors.

You also can't offer up the option to not pay and then get pissy when nobody pays. I realize the kind thing to do would be to pay, but you can't give your neighbor an option like that and then hold a grudge when they don't make the decision you want.

My brother-in-law has a tinge of racism in him. Not a big fan of people that aren't white. When he built his fence, he went to his white neighbor to hammer out a deal, but not his East Indian neighbor. As a result when it came to collect the bill his Indian neighbor just told him "I'm not in a financial position to give you $1500 and I didn't want a fence in the first place." He looked into it and his hands are totally tied. Doesn't really add to the thread, but I tell that story any chance I get to hammer home the importance of talking to neighbors about fence building.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post: