View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #33
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
So what's the deal here? It says in the article he just agreed to a two year contract, now he bails?

(I have no idea how this stuff works)
Yeah I guess he had been looking at a couple other contracts, then agreed to the two year extension. Then after that the club approached him with a formal offer, and he took that.

I think its a little weird, but he didn't really owe anything to Canada either. People have to do what they think is best for themselves, and I hope that we can find someone else who can move the program forward.

Its weird though. When I watched the club this past summer and fall they were just not doing things that seemed effective for the rest of the world. For example going into a ruck with no support. That seems like rugby 101 these days, but the Canadian team just wasn't doing it. The thing that makes it so bizarre is that talking to guys playing recreational rugby here in Calgary, they all do it and are taught that way now. So how in the world it doesn't happen at the national level is beyond me. (I'm referring to guy basically binding on to the player with the ball before he initiates contact by the way, in case you're not sure what I'm talking about). It seems like a minor little thing. Until you see a top tier club run the ball down the oppositions throat 4-5 phases in a row and pick up 20-30 metres doing so.

That and for a team full of sevens players who do well there, I expected a lot more creativity and offensive flair from the backs. Instead its basically "hands" every time. No loops or scissors or anything 99% of the time. Its not just that its predictable (it is), but those plays add to you getting overlaps and creating numbers wider out. I think some Canadians are reluctant to play that way because they don't want to look like showboats or something like that, but the reality is that these things open your opponents as well and keep them off balance defensively.

Anyway, I'm just a fan at this point, so what do I know. I hope that the program gets back to its growth and winning ways though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: