View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #286
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Thanks for the above info. I still am not sure about a dayhome vs daycare. Seems like daycares are more regulated and run as a business with more staff, procedures etc. The daycares I've looked up all have websites with lots of info. Dayhomes seem less regulated and are also cheaper. And I never really considered using a nanny.

I would be interested to know if anyone has used both a dayhome and a daycare and which one they prefer (and why)
You've pretty much got it. DayCare's are traditional businesses that lease commercial space and typically have several employees. Dayhomes, on the other hand, are generally mother's that are able to care for 2 or 3 children besides their own and do it out of their own home. I don't mean to stereotype, just generalizing.

While daycares are heavily regulated, safe, reputable, etc., they are businesses first and foremost. Our son went to a daycare and it was little more than a babysitting service. He was a profit centre, plain and simple.

The quality of a day home is 100% attributed to the individual running it. Find someone that cares deeply about children and puts in an honest effort and it can be a fantastic experience. Finding a good day home can be a serious chore though, as good ones fill up quickly and bad ones are loosely regulated.

My day home horror story: We interviewed several of them and chose one based upon location and how the home looked inside. After laying down my money for the first month, the lady asked me if I would co-sign for a car loan as she was going through a divorce and her ex took the minivan. Doh.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote