View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #49
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I skimmed the thread, but in addition to what has been mentioned, some things that I did/ wish I did:

- 2x6 studs instead of 2x4. Better for electrical and insulation, as well as being stronger.
- Run coax and Cat6 to the garage. Internet, TV, phone, etc. I like having a landline in the garage as it's the place I am most likely to need 911.
- Foam under the garage floor. Makes a huge difference working in there in the winter.
- As mentioned, stub wall the entire perimeter.
- Also as mentioned, drainage. You have an advantage with that slope that you can run it outside and through the apron.
- Can you bump the one side out to 22'? 34' the other way is awesome, but those extra 2 feet the other way might make or break things.
- With electrical, in addition to what was said about never too many plugs, I went with double gang boxes so each set of outlets can handle 4 plugs. I also alternated along the wall, so every other plug was on a different circuit. A few times you need a compressor running beside a table saw.
That's genius. Double gang boxes is also a great idea. I did that at the work bench, but it would have been better to have done it everywhere.

Another thing on the boxes is to plan your workbench location while you're doing electrical so you can have the outlets at the right height. I almost had mine below the table height, but raised them at the last minute. Would have been a hassle had I neglected to do that.

Also, now is the time to throw some up outside the garage, too. I have a couple outside, plus one in the soffit, which is going to be great as we're adding patio lights this year.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote