View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #41
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roll your sleeves up and get involved right from the outset. We had twins and my wife had a c-section, so I had no choice - for the first 48 hours I did all the swaddling, changing diapers, burping, everything except feeding. In the end, it gave me the confidence that I can (and should) do everything as much as my wife except the feeding part. And when we did switch to bottles, it was 50/50 on that as well.

I have friends who kind of hung back and let their wife do almost all of the changing, swaddling, burping, etc., and it established a dynamic that caused problems later. This isn't 1980 anymore. Step up.

The nurses will recommend that the family bond together at home with little or no visitors for the first couple days. Listen to them. As others have suggested, ask your support network for food. Don't let moms and mother-in-laws meddle. You'll need their support, but don't get elbowed out of the way as the dad. Again, this isn't 1980 anymore.

Establish a sleep and feeding schedule that enables your wife to get the rest she needs. Cherish the time when you're alone with your child. Those bonds are forever.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote