View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #9
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

People who meet immigration requirements are not a drain, but people who are here on refugee basis could very well be. The problem is that even if people are highly trained etc, they often can't work as anything but a service or menial labour job.

I have worked in a field with a large number of immigrants and refugees and despite the training, there are a very large percentage of people doing work that is far beneath their educational level. I am referring to professionals such as doctors, engineers, pharmacists etc working in a meat packing plant simply because the hoops they need to jump through to get 'certified' to work in Canada would leave them and their family destitute for a period of many years.

There needs to be some sort of finance program, either loans or grants for people like this to live while they are getting re-certified. I know they decided to move here etc but if we really want productive people coming through immigration then it is probably the best way.