View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #80
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
I came up with Ricardo’s Grit Index (RGI). I take the plays which require grit and physical sacrifice (hits, blocked shots and Take-aways) and subtract Give-aways to get a raw grit score.

I then do a simple grit / games played . This does not show how gritty a player is relative to his peers. Someone like Bouwmeester playing 25 minutes/game has over twice the opportunity to make gritty plays than Jackman. So I took the TOI and normalized it to regular games. A average forward should get 15 min/game of ice time (12 forwards dressed) and an average D-man should get 20 min/game of ice time. The Total TOI /15 for forwards and Total TOI/20 gives something I call regular games played.
I've got a bit of an issue with this. If I'm reading this right, your equation is

RGI=[(hits+blocks+takes-gives)/games](Normalized TOI)

Where Normalized TOI= Total ice time of a player/(15 or 20; depending on what position he plays.)

First of all, your formula needs some work mathematically. The RGI is fine but it should simply be divided by a players TOI. No need to spice it up. If a player makes a gritty play per minute then that's an RGI/min of one. Simple.

Now, what is grit? Is it "heart and soul" or is it the ability to beat and grind the other team down? Why does possession apparently play into it. If J.J. Watt put on some skates and just smashed into players would he not be gritty? Would he be a soft player? No. Giveaways are a possession stat, they have no place here. As for blocked shots, that's a "heart and soul" stat, it may have a place here, but only because it's not really clear at all what you're actually trying to measure.

I'd like to add that fighting should be factored in either way, since it's both a "heart and soul" action and it also wears down the other team. I'd say that it should be given a higher weight in the equation too.

So, refined "heart and soul grit" RGI should be something like

RGI=(Hits+Blocked Shots+(5)Fights)/TOI= Gritty actions/minute

While "Grinding grit" should be something like

RGI=(Hits+(5)Fights)/TOI= Gritty actions/minute

That stat really doesn't say too much.