View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 09:53 AM   #256
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Obviously the patient has rights to confidentiality and I'm not sure when/how testimony in a trial trumps those confidentiality rights. His Therapist decided not to take the stand though and instead he provided a written statement indicating that Douglas did attend his regular therapy session on the morning that the three victims went missing. His regular session is scheduled for 8am but Douglas arrived half an hour late that morning.
I assume exceptions to confidentiality vary from from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but here is an example of when confidentiality 'should/must' be broken.

-Where there is a reasonable suspicion of child abuse or elder adult physical abuse;

-Where there is a reasonable suspicion that you may present a danger of violence to others;

- Where there is a reasonable suspicion that you are likely to harm yourself unless protective measures are taken.

That have undertaken these action in the past do not qualify, but only to save harm from ongoing or planned action.
I think?
So I could tell my therapist I killed someone, and that could remain confidential. I tell my therapist I am planning to kill someone tomorrow, and they must report it?
Further, a therapist could be subpoenaed (wow - had to Google spelling lol) to testify, and could comply or evoke privilege, and not testify?

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 02-04-2017 at 10:01 AM.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote