View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #47
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here are my 2 cents-

If you are losing weight and seeing results by simply "eating better" and exercising, then great. However, if you are not seeing results despite efforts such as eliminating junk food and eating smaller portions, then the solution imo is to start precisely counting calories in and calories out (in conjunction with macronutrients). Regardless of how healthy ones diet may seemingly be, weight loss comes from a caloric deficit. Putting aside the endless number of times people cite hormonal issues for their inability to lose weight, there is a daily caloric set point for each individual, and finding out what yours is, and being in a deficit of that number, is the key.

And here is the part that may get some disagreements- fat loss, muscle gain, and weight loss are typically misunderstood. Generally speaking, weight loss (especially when we are talking about substantial weight loss) means losing fat and losing muscle. The goal of a high protein diet, that incorporates a regular weight lifting routine, is to minimize muscle loss as much as possible. If you are not losing weight, it is probably not because you are gaining muscle and losing fat. You hear it many times around the gym- "I'm not losing weight, but that is probably because I am gaining muscle and losing fat, cancelling each other out". Although this would be a terrific scenario, it simply doesn't happen as much as we would like. Good article on this- http://www.builtlean.com/2011/08/04/...the-same-time/

In my opinion, a caloric deficit of 500 calories a day is a very reasonable goal. The trick is finding out what ones BMR is (plus exercise considerations). The next step is to properly measure caloric intake- which is where most people make their mistake. Many people underestimate the number of calories they are taking in. A food scale is a very good tool for measure correct servings.

Macronutrient percentages are debated over and over, but I find the calculators on iifym.com to a very good guide- as well as the BMR calculators.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 08-11-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote