View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #68
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
i was against the idea at first, but with practically no true centremen currently playing, ROR might be the best available option to a two-way forward.

but do we dare pay him what he wants/pay colorado what they want? expensive both $ and asset wise..
No. If asking price is young player, prospect and pick, you have to pass. We simply can't part with three assets to acquire one. He had a good season in a contract year but he doesn't have a track record that warrants sending these assets in return.

Defensive center - problem is everyone is looking and there is a short supply. It amazes me that Steckel sits in the press box in TO and no one has picked him up. Would be interesting to know what Nonis wants.

Defensive forwards - again, sellers market. Lots of teams looking but price is high as supply is low. Have to overpay which is not an advantageous situation. Would people here be ok trading Cammy for a downgrade in skill but a better two way game. If Feaster does this there will be a lot of bitching, but maybe we need a Stillman for Conroy like deal where we give up offense for defensive responsibility.

Problem as I see it is that we have issues on the 1st line (production) and 4th line (skill). Stajan and Horak's lines are OK. 1st line situation may improve when Baertschi and Backlund get back as we will get skill that we can inject into the 1st line. 4th line - I'd like to see Feaster go unconventional here and approach some teams who have one way contracts in the minors. For example, Buffalo has Matt Ellis and TB has Dana Tyrell in the minors on one ways. I'm sure the owners would prefer to pay these guys minor league salaries so offer a minor leaguer for these guys and see if they can better our 4th line. Low risk and if it doesn't work you don't burn a valuable asset, just maybe increase the payroll in Abby temporarily.

Lastly, you have a guy like Petr Straka who has been tearing up the Q after not being tendered a contract by CLB despite being a 2nd round pick. Why not offer him a deal to increase our prospect pool? I was surprised that no one dealt for his rights before they expired last summer and he might be showing the firm to justify his second round status. We've had luck with Czechs so maybe there's a fit here. No problem in becoming Prague west if it gets us on the right track.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote