View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #254
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
And I agree with Captain Crunch, the traditional Star Trek TV format of following one crew around probably is too limited and IMO one of the reasons Star Trek died out on TV by the early 2000's.
Star Trek was oversaturated by the late 90s, with multiple Treks TV shows running simultaneously and a movie every two years. Also, Voyager sucked.

I think they need to freshen it up, but it would be a mistake to abandon the core premise of the show - group of people exploring the galaxy and coping with scientific and ethical issues in an optimistic evocation of the future. The Star Trek universe itself isn't all that interesting - not interesting enough to set a ongoing TV show with an entirely different genre (private eye, political backstabbing, etc.). The appeal lies in that core premise.

Trek also relies on an existing and devoted fanbase more than other franchises. There's only so far you can go before it's 'not Star Trek'. Star Wars isn't all that different - The Force Awakens hits every note of the classic Star Wars premise. Disney is only able to go off the reservation with standalones like Rogue One because the main movie series is hewing closely to the core premise of a young people with a destiny engaged in the struggle between mystical good and evil.

The problem with the new Trek is it's being used by a traditional TV network to try to sell its streaming platform. Give Netflix or Syfy the license and I expect it would be on-track.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-19-2017 at 10:48 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote