View Single Post
Old 12-13-2023, 09:30 AM   #45
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
It's interesting. My initial reflex was to be against this. But on further reading, there may not be any direct cost to the State.
https://richmond.com/news/state-regi...3f17feab5.html

Leonsis would continue to run the Cap one arena as a concert and event space and contribute significantly to this space as well as move his business to VA.

Some of the reasons these things are bad deals in other cities are a little different here. With the Washington metro area being split into 4 states, the dynamic is much different. Currently fans from MD,DC,VA,WV all go into DC to spend their money. There is an economic advantage to getting all of them to spend their money in VA instead. That's a different dynamic than say Calgary where a hockey team is cannibalizing entertainment dollars that would have otherwise been spent elsewhere in Calgary, so not much net gain.

There isn't much of a civic pride angle either, as they aren't going to be the Virginia or Alexandria Capitals. It is a loss for DC, and that's too bad, but seems like a good deal for VA.
Is there every that much civic pride in a nation's capital? Where folks come from all over the country to work? Isn't that historically part of the issue in Ottawa?

(although it could work to their advantage, I've been in Edmonton since 2009 and will never cheer for local team because E=NG, but if I live in Ottawa that long I'm sure I'd be fien with a B tier fandom)
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote