View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #7
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They're a fringe playoff team currently. As I think is confirmed by their ability to easily handle the non playoff teams like Vancouver, Colorado, Arizona, and setting themselves apart on the ice. But given their off and on struggles with teams like Tampa, Anaheim, SJ, Chicago, they're not quite there with them. However, they are also a team trending upward. I think this is the "walking" stage that Burke was talking about. They had an unexpected little jog in 14-15 but came back down to earth, with probably way worse goaltending than they deserved. But now they're working their way back to being able to play with the other playoff caliber teams and it feels a little more for real now.

The one thing I'd like to see more of is resiliency. Not enough bounce backs within games. If they get down a couple goals, they're usually not able to close the gap this season. Still waiting for a vintage comeback that we know these core players are capable of orchestrating. That ability will be needed to find success in the playoffs, which is their next step.

I think they make it. And I'd love to see that matchup be the Oilers, because I think that team is having a premature "jog" of their own and the Flames are the more for real team with a more rounded roster and core. But one of Anaheim or San Jose is likely going to keep one of the Alberta teams out of the 2/3 spots. Either way, that team is toast in the first round I think. The Flames in a WC spot may be looking at the same fate, but the experience would be great for these players.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote