View Single Post
Old 07-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #62
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
A power play coach is actually drawing up the scheme, set-up, etc while a goaltender coach is more advisory looking over tape and suggesting tweaks, helping get them mentally prepared. If the power play stinks for a long duration you can point to the power play coach not making adjustments and having bad schemes but if the goaltending stinks you have to consider the maybe he's just not that good. My issue of course is that almost every goaltender Treliving has brought in has played worse for the Flames than their career norm which points to the issues being deeper than just the goaltenders. It's hard on the outside to find much in the way of positive input he's added to any Flames goaltenders since his arrival seeing they almost all perform worse than their career average for the team. Again he's not THE problem but to me at least he hasn't been part of the solution and IMO that's indisputable as we have seen a lot of goaltenders games improve under the tutelage of goaltending coaches. That's not happening here at all and if he can't assist them to play better I have to question why he still has his job as like everything else in professional sports his job should be results based.
Look at this double standard: when a goalie fails, it's the player. When a power play fails, it's the coach, not the players. What do you expect, the power play coach to crawl inside the minds of 5 players and make them perform?

B..b......But wait, we haven't conducted conclusive experiments to determine if the power play coach is actually doing all those things who say he does and if he hasn't performed as you say he does! Like c'mon people. For all we know Ken King and oownership called all the shots under Daryl Sutter, and we knew absolutely nothing about what Sutter did all day, yet people called for his head.

It's simple, either any one of us can criticize from a far -- and that applies to all franchise personnel -- Or none of us can. This whole "walk 15 miles in another's shoes" is not the job of fans on a message board. Our job is to shake fists at the clouds because ultimately that's all we can do.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post: