Thread: Fostering a Dog
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just had my 60th foster dog adopted last week. I had one dog already when I started and was thinking about getting a second. Fostering seemed like a good way to test out the second dog idea, without making a 15 year commitment.

Check out the rescue ahead of time. There are some less than reputable ones around here - and some great ones. A good rescue will provide everything for the dog. They will all have their own rules about how to deal with things like vet visits (usually you must get approval first and take to the vet the rescue works with).

Usually you are expected to take the dog to events like adopt-a-thons (often held at pet stores or dog daycares) and to schedule meet and greets with potential adopters (your house, their house, or neutral territory). If the adopters have other animals, it is really helpful if you can take the foster over there for a meeting.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to answer. I think fostering a dog is great, because a home environment is so much better for the dog than a shelter and then the adopters get a better sense of the dog's true personality.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post: