Thread: Fostering a Dog
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 09:38 PM   #2
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

I have fostered dogs for a pit bull rescue - I really enjoyed the experience.

If you are honest about your skills and experience, and it's a reputable rescue, it should be a good learning opportunity for you. They will likely give you well-adjusted dogs, and if you follow instructions you'll be able to handle it. There is a need for foster homes, so you're helping.

One thing it is not, in my amateur opinion, is immediately gratifying. Your relationship with your dog, if you ever adopt one, will be affectionate and rewarding. Rescues can be more difficult - they are likely to be anxious/terrified/traumatized by the events that led to their situation, and everything is changing and unfamiliar. It's tough for them and most reactions by you will just make things worse.
If they do like you, they might be very snuggly and affectionate. That has its own difficulty, as you might fall in love and then they're gone/adopted. You should have a plan if you want to keep a foster; whatever that plan is, just be prepared.

Ultimately, you should do this, but do it to gauge your interest in taking them for walks, and not leaving them alone overnight - do it for you - and try to give to the puppers without expectation of how they'll react.
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gozer For This Useful Post: