View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
It's gotten to the point that it's hard to find clothes not made in these sweatshops. How people can justify taking advantage of these people by saying it's a normal stage of economic development is sickening. It's just another example of the greed of big business that would only be too quick to throw us into the same situation if they could. I believe in a fair pay for a fair days work, not paying the least you can get away with.
And I believe in skipping through meadows full of daisys and rainbows.

What Vulcan says is true, you may not like it but it is true. In many areas these sweatshops are top tier unskilled work and the workers clearly prefer to be there than anywhere else.

If it is simply an issue of pay I don't think anyone here can judge so negatively without:
* comparing to their COST of living
* comparing to their alternatives

what is one person's slavery is another persons opportunity. And large 'sweatshops' are a step up for an awful economy looking for anyway to be productive. It sucks, but I don't know of any other way to practically improve the lifestyle of unskilled labourers in 3rd world countries. We can ship them bags of money, but that would be short term help, we can't wave a magic wand and make them all educated doctors ... so I guess I don't know what you are up in arms about.

So, you can be sladerous and condesending to people who don't agree with you, or you can post something intellegent and walk us through why or how you could construct 3rd world economies such that there is no demand for this type of labour.

And i'd also be curious about what pimping and drug dealing has to do with anything.
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote