View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #396
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I did butter chicken and it was a bit odd... the chicken was delicious, but the texture was tender to the point that I found it almost off-putting. It's probably because I'm just used to the chicken in that dish having a bit of a bite to it.

I'm debating buying a rack for this reason alone. For me the water displacement method in a ziplock + alligator clip is all I need for most things. Veggies are a different beast and I wrestle with them constantly.
I wouldn't suggest a metal rack. FYI, metal racks will rust. Mine did and I still sent it back to Amazon. The rack does help to keep the food floating sideways, but it doesn't completely keep it from floating. Metal racks are like $20 each. Not cheap.

I do have a crazy idea though... A heavy (enough) floating object capable of keeping the bag down, but doesn't sink.

My personal idea (I haven't seen this idea on any sites, and I haven't needed this option for my cooks because I don't sous vide floaty things) would be to get some cheap or old wood board/trivet/foam that's "heavy enough" cutting slots for the ziploc and sous vide. The theory is similar to trying to ascend in a swimming pool under a foam mat.

I was sorta envisioning something like the above made out of those gardening foam knee pads or those interlocking foam floor tiles but the the shape of the container with another hole for the sous vide. Not sure if you'd need multi layers or if a single layer is enough. Bag top(s) comes out of hole. I am not sure if the bouyancy of the veggies > weight/surface tension of the foam though due to the holes that are required. Wood probably would be heavy enough to keep veggies down though, but may run into issues with durability. Design wise, it would be similar to the lids on some of the sous vide set ups, but inside the container and on top of the water instead of over the container.

Idea wise, it shouldn't be heavy enough to sink which sometimes still doesn't successfully keep all the food under water. I'm hoping it would be a cost effective way to keep the bags under water at exactly the water level. I'm guessing the sous vide hole needs to be slightly hexagon or octagon so that you can't run into a situation where the foam covers the holes if the water level is low enough?

Thoughts as to whether this would work or whether if it would completely fail?

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-14-2017 at 10:57 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote