View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #388
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
I was thinking of cooking some Chicken on Sunday 99% of the way and then finish cooking it in the next few days. . Like most families, the evenings are very busy and thought this might be a good way to get a quick meal done during the week. I may try it but don;t want to poison my family haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
I would completely cook it at the lowest possible temperature. Something like 136 degrees for 2 hours, maybe a degree warmer or 30 minutes longer to be safe. I wouldn't partial cook it because that kind of defeats the purpose of killing the bacteria. That way the meat is safe but you won't overcook it when re-heating.
Sorry, very bad wording on my part. When I say 70-90% I actually mean it would be cooked reasonably close to bacteria dead/ability to cook without overcooking it.

Jack's explanation is what I do with chicken and pork. I drop it 5-10 degrees and let it run its course for a longer time before tossing it into the fridge. Sometimes, it's still a little bit bloody inside, especially if there's some type of bone or cartilage involved. I have never finished off with raw chicken or pork, but definitely I've seen lots of red blood inside after a sous vide cook. I have often contemplated just letting it run on the regular recipes due to the blood I find inside or a bright red bone.

Most of my research generally says that the meat should be close to bacteria/germ free, but I can't get past it in my own head, so I'll throw things into the microwave to make the inside look a "nice" maroon before consumption.

Beef I allow it to be much less cooked which gives me more options when I cook it. (Stir fry, steak, roast etc.) I've taken beef that was partially sous vided and cut cubes for stir fry on occasion if I suddenly lose my steak craving. I've also sliced it thinly for soups/stews/wraps as well.

I generally like to get a proper cooking into the meat (a bit more than a sear, less than cooking from raw) because I kept feeling like I was tasting a very faint slightly rancid meat taste when I was cooking the meat completely sous vide and only putting in a basic sear into the meat. Thus yes, on occasion I'll use a lower temperature so that when I put my proper "cook" into the meat, it won't be overdone. Usually, I cook it at a rate that makes me feel the meat would be reasonably safe to consume and just needs slightly more than just "warming up" when I cook to be properly cooked.

Last edited by DoubleF; 02-15-2017 at 01:21 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote