View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 10:00 PM   #382
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
I have a question about this. Would you sous vide some chicken, store in the fridge/freezer and the finish it a few days later to make a quick supper when time is short?
You mean like a 70-90% cooked chicken that you can have sit on the pan while you cook veggies or something on the side? I've done this on the day of or a day earlier for items I keep in my fridge, but I haven't actually ended up having any available for more than a day or two max. I do this with steak as well.

As for freezing a partial cook, I haven't actually thought of doing this, but it sounds like it could work. I usually freeze it raw, then toss the entire bag into the sous vide for the cook time + 30 minutes while I prep other food/ do other activities. I assume if you cook it 80-90% then freeze it, you probably could attempt to sous vide thaw it over 20-30 minutes, then chuck it on a pan to make a fast(er) chicken. However, I would be concerned that the middle isn't properly thawed and I'd end up with some slightly raw chicken... Slice in half, back on the pan or a quick little ding in the microwave if that's the case I guess?

Fridge should be ok and easy to make sure it's properly cooked though IMO.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: