View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
COD, and similar games, are probably a contributing factor in mental issues. An 11year old can't differentiate between video games and reality like an adult can.
I don't fully disagree. I am just saying that COD may only be a trigger, not an underlying cause.

I am sure these episodes have played out over the course of history. Mother takes away the favorite dog, wooden train, clothes, etc. This kid was just waiting on some trigger to go off.

Yes, COD may have increased or sped along this kids episode, but I am of the opinion this would have happened at some point in his life. His boss chewing him out, police harassment, his wife leaving him. He was a ticking time bomb and didn't know it.

I make it a point not to expose my child to violence of any type. I think too many parents are lax on this. I will full on get up and change the channel if someone is even watching boxing. Why does my 2 year old need to see that?

Most parents should do the same. However, I believe in some cases not even the best parenting can stop some of the absolute severe cases. Let's admit that, it is a severe case. Sure most kids will lash out, but not many try and rape their mother before killing them. That falls into a whole nother' level for me, mental illness.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post: