View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #58
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Conceptually, the relationship between the flames and STH's is partially one of the flames transferring risk to STH's.

The flames sell 41 games up-front, and the STH take the risk of those games over the course of the season. If the flames suck and are out of the playoffs, STH's should be left with games that have very little demand and will lose money on tickets, while the flames have guarenteed revenue for those seats. In contrast, when the flames are good, STHs get the upside. And over the long-run, the STH's should breakeven on selling secondary tickets. And, in return for taking on this risk, STH's are offered two things: (1) better seats within a price point and (2) ROFR on playoffs and ticket renewals.

The problem right now for STH's is that the flames are good, and you can't get anywhere near breakeven on season tickets. Its just not a good value proposition - especially if you have bad seats within a price point.

The problem for the flames is that if enough STH's don't renew tickets, you very quickly turn into a situation that the Ottawa Senators are facing. A lack of a season ticket base translates into 80% capacity and reliance on game day sales. And that in turn makes it less attractive to own season tickets and a vicious cycle begins. So the flames could ignore the secondary market, but they do so at their peril.
I gave up my Kansas City Chiefs tickets last month. I found that for some games I could get a good return on my tickets (Christmas game versus the Broncos for instance), but the preseason and December games are almost impossible to sell. I told my season ticket rep that I was tired of subsidizing cheap tickets for other fans and that from now on I would be buying on the secondary market because it was much cheaper (including playoffs).

I really think professional sports teams are going to have to reinvent themselves somehow in the not too distant future. Sure, there are markets where tickets are always red hot. But the majority of the markets have teams floundering around at .500, which is understandable considering how many teams there are. Still the majority of fans could care less about a Wednesday night game, not to mention paying hundreds of dollars to attend one. Plus, it is so nice to just sit home and watch the game on the big screen in HD and save the hassle of parking, crowds, over priced crappy food. The NHL, NBA, MLB, and even the NFL are going to have a tougher time selling out games at sky high prices like they have in the past. I'm talking regular season weekday games, not playoff games, not Friday night games versus the Yankees or Warriors or Penguins.