Thread: school me in 4k
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #89
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Quite possibly the worst chart I've ever seen on the internet.
I think part of the problem is that it just isn't relevant to the discussion most times that it's brought up. The chart isn't wrong, it's just not helpful information anymore when deciding whether or not to upgrade.

Back in the days when it was between 720p and 1080p, you could argue the point much more effectively because there were fewer outside factors that relied you pick one over the other.

With the discussion moving to 1080p vs 4K sets these days, there's a new variable to consider: HDR. It's not just about resolution and viewing distance anymore. If you want the widest possible color production, you need a 4K set that supports HDR and/or Dolby Vision with a true 10-bit panel. 1080p sets do not offer HDR, period.

Content that supports 4K and HDR is now becoming more widely available, with Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, as well as the two major consoles. I can't wait for HBONow to offer it.

I think the real practicality of the viewing distance vs resolution chart is this:

Given the placement of your screen relative to your seating position, is there a benefit moving from 1080p to 4k strictly with respect to resolution?
> If yes, buy the new TV.
> If no, can you afford to buy a 4KTV with HDR10 and/or Dolby Vision (true 10-bit panel)?
--> If yes, buy the TV.
--> If no, save up until you can afford a proper HDR capable set, or they come down in price sufficiently that you can buy it at your current budget.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote