View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #51
DynastyEra
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
And this is why the current lottery form sucks balls.

The minute a club appears they'll miss playoffs (even though they haven't been mathematically eliminated) fans, and very likely club staff, turn their attention to the draft. I hate that.

I wish all 14 teams who miss the playoffs have a 1/14th chance of getting the top pick. That will do away will all tanking and fan apathy. I really hate that fans are already losing interest in the outcomes of games. Wtf is the point of playing the games then?
I can't remember where I read it but someone had a pretty good solution to teams packing it in once they are on the outside looking in..

The team with the best record AFTER being mathematically eliminated gets the best chance to win the pick. That gives the worst teams more time to accumulate points, and the order is determined by the non-playoff teams records. It's not so much that these teams suck, they just give up, its hard to motivate the locker room when you're planning your summer holidays on the bench between shifts.

So doing it this way gives the team new life, gives the fans some entertaining hockey, and essentially you're playing for the 1st overall. Sort of a game within the game. It's good for everyone. Injects some pride into "winning" the pick. "We earned it"

Obviously the flaw is in that if a team has an awful record during that period, shouldn't they truly NEED the 1st overall? Well, teams suck for a lot of reasons not related to roster parts. In today's game, any team has the roster to compete for the cup. I just think its the best way to get out of the "tanking" mentality. Hockey is a product after all, who the hell would spend hundreds of dollars for the 81st game in the season?
Would you go see that same game if it was to see your team win Auston Matthews?

I may be missing details but I really liked this idea, or any variation with minor detail changes.