View Single Post
Old 10-07-2016, 12:44 AM   #11
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is really tough to judge the system so far. Too many guys in and out of the lineup, too many rookies, too many PTO's, etc., in preseason under a new coach and without (for the most part) the first line (so everyone slots in differently).

Unless the Flames start off game 1 playing the system well, it will really be too soon to comment until at least the 20 game mark. I just find it difficult to say if I like a system or not when there is a lot of system break-downs. Flames looked like they are playing with their head's chopped-off for even 3/4s of most games.

There seems to be certain things I like about the system - but there were definitely things that seemed really, really good about Hartley's system too. Even when the stretch-pass became a thing, it made total sense seeing as the defence were mostly of the puck-moving, great passing types. League had a difficult time adjusting to the Flames I thought, but then when they did (last season) the Flames still ended up finding ways to get on the score-sheet.

I do like the pressure they seem to be putting on in the defensive zone (I had no problem with Hartley's offensive system - it generated a lot of offence after all, but felt the defence was too passive and too reliant on shot-blocking). However, at the moment, it does look like the Flames are often running around in their own zone trying to put that pressure on too often, and end up puck-chasing instead of playing smart defence. Is that they system, or are guys just missing assignments and adjusting to being on the ice, playing with different guys every night, and learning a system? I think it was the latter, so I can't really provide criticisms, and the platitudes thus far end with "more defensive zone pressure".

~20 games or so and I think the Flames should (they better!) have the system down-pat and should be easier to comment on.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: