View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #1063
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The recent trend of this thread is a reason I'm not a big fan of advanced stats, or whatever they are. People list them as fact, yet people who watch the game only have opinions.

Advanced stats in my opinion should be used more by teams as a teaching tool more then anything... you see what tendencies certain players have, identify strengths and weaknesses, and you develop those weaknesses and find ways to embrace the strengths to better your team... the problem I find is that people have started using them as a base for formulating arguments for why players are or aren't good completely undermining the intangibles that player brings to a team that can't be measured by stats, or numbers.

Smid is valued because of what he brings to a team outside of what his "stats" are, and that is why he makes what he makes, and that is why the Flames wanted him at the time and believed he brought more value to the team then what Horak and Brossoit brought. And the team likes him, the coaching staff likes him... most fans, like him, and he fits well into our top 4. He is a solid 4/5/6 d man. He was never brought here to be an offensive, puck moving, d man. He wasn't brought here to be the key shut down d man either, he was brought here to strengthen the team, and the d corp... And that is what he has done. It's a win trade for Calgary.