View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #33
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

An ideal, yet unlikely, ideal situation is to co-host with the US, as that ban, instituted after 2002, has been lifted.

Could Canada pull off the logistics and stadia? Sure...temporary natural grass at each stadium. The cost of security will be high and that would fall on the governments.

The CSA cynic in me (this was basically announced July 2012), is nothing more than a political move, giving the CSA, and more importantly, the current CSA Executive, something to focus on off the field.

Hoping that the interest in the bid creates up until the (unannouced bid time), will create an "own the podium" type program to get corporate Canada to throw money at the CSA in the meantime, 12 years removed from the actual event.

Yes, they have to do something to kickstart development, but these 4 year all encompassing national development plans have come and gone over the past 2+ decades, and they're barely worth the paper they are printed on, with the same pie in the sky ideas that never get off the ground. Bottom line, they have to get a proper national program, free of the red tape and political games from various associations in coordination with the CSA, in camp and roster and coaching/technical director selection at all ages and categories.

Can putting the cart before the horse and getting a World Cup spur that on? Sure...and no harm in putting the chicken before the egg, but I have serious doubts that this gains much traction over the next couple years. FIFA is a tough egg to crack, speaking of politics and corruption, so there would have to be a properly concerted effort of money and backroom negotiation to "win" those votes over.

Again, this all leads to letting the Americans take the lead in the bid, and let Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal host a couple opening round games...is that enough to let Canada in automatically as a host, I don't know.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote