View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #33
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
What if your kid would rather play hockey year round rather than baseball or soccer? Would it make sense if Minor hockey just had two seasons?

Honestly, I have a 1 year old and I have no idea what I plan on doing, but if he's 6 and really wants to play hockey, I think I'd rather him do that than play soccer or baseball, regardless of whether he's AAAAAA or not.
Playing one sport year round is nothing new. Club volleyball and baseball be it fall ball or a winter program have been around for over 20 yrs, since I was a kid. As well as soccer indoor, then outdoor, golf to. In the US this has been the case for years, especially in the southern states where it's always nice out. Who's to say what is right or what is wrong.

Growing up in Canada there is only one sport that kids have a shot to make it in, albeit a very unlikely one. People think it is a waste to spend time and money on hockey, but what about volleyball? Playing club volleyball can cost just as much or more then hockey. And what are the odds of anyone ever making a living in volleyball? A partial scholarship at best. People just like to come down hard on hockey and hockey parents.