View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #73
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
McMahon isn’t the worst option,as 50k with temp seats. Still run into washroom and concession issues though. Not likely to be chosen and outside of the Olympics coming here, and something being built, nothing will change.

What soccer stadia need are end seats. End seats may make Skydome a bit dubious, but it is Toronto. But, if Calgary does get the Olympics and a new stadium, it will host WC games.
I think McMahon with a 9 digit renovation/rebuild could be a great choice. I suspect effort will be made to have 5 host cities to spread it out... Vancouver, Calgary or Ottawa, Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal.

Calgary is the 4th largest market, has good corporate presence, a decent airport connection, the stadium is easily renovated to 40-50k (and actually needs the work regardless) and its in a decent location.

FIFA won't accept lipstick on a pig though (such as temp seats, artificial turf, bleacher seating and porta potties)... if Calgary is selected, significant cash has to go into the stadium. I can't imagine that McMahon was added to the shortlist without a plan.

Last edited by Thunderball; 08-15-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote