View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #1221
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

I was looking at this package. https://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-sb4551-d5/review/ Yes, it's a soundbar, but my other Vizio soundbar (S5451) is pretty good, and this would prevent me from having to do much work... the soundbar could just sit on the cabinet in front of the TV, the wireless sub under the sectional, and the rear speakers on the walls as they're tiny enough that mounting them on the wall behind the sectional would be easy and involve minimal visible wires (since they connect to the subwoofer).

The only question I have there is, isn't it going to totally muffle the subwoofer having it under the couch? They say that's what it's built for, but do you need a really tall couch to pull this off? Obviously it's downward driving, but the floor is carpet. Is that going to be an issue? I could put it next to the couch under a side table or something, but then all my bass is coming from one side of where I'm sitting.
I have a similar Vizio sound bar. I can definitely say, I am confused how someone could put a sub woofer under a couch. The one in your link is nice and flat though. Mine is too tall do do that. Could it be muffled? Maybe. For all intents and purposes, I think it will meet your needs.

What I ended up doing was this.

I have a coffee table in front of my sofas. The sub woofer goes there. The wires from the sub to the speakers have to go from the subwoofer to under/behind the sofas. A small floor rug helps with this (more concerned with wires damaged than tripping or aesthetics). I was contemplating buying speaker stands, removing the base and screwing it directly into the wall or the sofa at the corners, but my wife nix'd that idea without hesitation. So, the speakers sit on the corners of my sofa.

Would the bass be muffled? Possibly. I'd do some testing on the sound to find the best location for the sub. Maybe finding a square of tile to place on top of the carpet can get the sound to disburse the best?

EDIT: Can that subwoofer stand vertically against the wall behind the sofas? I found a link of your speakers on Amazon and it seems to show that the subwoofer has a bracket that can allow it to stand vertically?

https://www.amazon.ca/VIZIO-Wireless...ords=SB4551-D5

On a different note:

My Vizio speakers have a weird issue where sometimes the sound fades out from the speaker. I think it's sending the sound from L/R or vice versa, but if you're sitting on the side and can't hear the other side, it just sounds like the sound is cutting out. Anyone know what I can do about that?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the ones I have. I have had the speakers for quite a while now and I purchased them from someone used for a hell of a deal, so hopefully it's something I can tweak on my own. Hopefully, that sound bar system you listed doesn't have the same L/R issue I'm running into Corsi. It's faint enough most my other friends don't notice it at all, but I personally notice it like a sore thumb.

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-22-2017 at 12:25 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote