View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #99
Knut

Exp:

I feel that i have a found the Job best suited for me.

I initially wanted to get into Astronomy or Genetic research, but quickly found out that I would rather read about Astronomy and that lab work is not for me. I then looked at med school, but the idea of 11yrs of schooling was not really appealing to me. Optometry seemed like a good job in the medical field that was lower stress and a decent income and had me working by 25.

I love the interaction i have with long time patients. I get to work for set period of times (no OT or take home work) and can adjust my schedule to be flexible for holidays and getting my kids to school. I also enjoy that our field is becoming more medical by the year (We can now order blood work/ct scans/prescribe oral medications) and less about selling glasses/contacts.

I hate writing report letters and having to give bad news to patients regarding their eyesight/ability to continue driving. Weekend and evening hours also sucks when you have a family. The competition is fierce for eye wear and there is a lot of poor quality stuff out there for cheap. There is more time spent than i would like having to explain the benefits of quality eye wear. There is also too much time spent convincing people their contact lenses are medical devices and should not be abused.

Overall I am very happy and can not think of another profession i would like to be in.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post: