View Single Post
Old 07-31-2023, 10:44 PM   #29
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hlinka-Gretzky Tournament Day 1 Thoughts:

Team Canada was beaten 9-6 by Finland. The score was 5-5 with under 9 minutes left in the game, and Canada led 3-1 halfway through the first. Obviously, it's very hard to critique players this young, but Canada was sloppy defensively and didn't get great games from their goalies.

-Captain Berkly Catton led the way offensively for Canada, with a goal and 3 points. I'm a little familiar with this kid, as he had 4 points in 7 games at the U-18's, and he looks like a sure-fire NHLer, as he already plays a mature game with pace. He's skilled, competitive, and plays an energetic 2-way game with a hard forechecking style. He had 55 points in 63 games for Spokane of the WHL this past season.
-Finland Center Tuomas Suoniemi had a hat-trick and 2 assists, and was buzzing around all game, with his stickhandling and speed. He's a bit under the radar, as he wasn't really talked about much before the tournament, and he didn't set the J20 league on fire this past season. I would bet that he had a good day today mostly because Canada was so loosey-goosey, but he's underrated.
-Emil Hemming was pegged as one to watch for Finland, and he had a goal and 4 points today. At 17, he's already 6'2", and had 16 points in 22 U20 League games. He is a good skater, but not a burner, and has good skill with an excellent shot. He's big, but plays more of a skill game- he could afford to use his size more. Pretty raw, I think.
-RW Justin Poirier is Jeremie's little brother, and i mean little- he's 5'8", but he plays much bigger. He's chippy, physical, and drives the net. 48 points in 55 games for Baie-Comeau as a 16 year-old. 1 goal today. Justin might possess a snarl like his older bro, but doesn't possess the same smooth skating ability, as his stride looks short and choppy to me, with not much power.
-Byron Ritchie's son (and nephew to Andreas Johansson), F Ryder Ritchie looked very good today. Only 1 assist, but he showed off his speed, skill, and creativity. He likes to carry the puck. 55 points in 61 games for Prince Albert of the WHL. He's already 6'0", and I would bet on him going in the 1st round of next summer's draft.
-Despite putting up only 1 goal, 6'2"C Cole Beaudoin was named Canada's Player of the Game. I already love this kid- he won't be outworked, wins one-on-one battles, and plays a dominant power-forward style with a tight two-way game. He seemed to be everywhere today, and skates well for a kid his size. Perhaps not the greatest offensive player, but does a lot of the things that need to be done in order to win. 20 points in 63 games for Barrie, as a 16 year-old.
-Another player I already love is RW Porter Martone, who wore an "A" today. He was very impressive at the U-18's, with 6 points in 7 games, and had an assist today. Martone is a 6'3" power-forward who goes to the net hard looking for screens and rebounds, and is excellent along the boards. He's gritty and competitive, moves well, and has an excellent shot and release. Little bit on the invisible side today, but I was looking for him. 35 points in 61 games in the OHL, split between Sarnia and Mississauga.
-RW Maxim Masse was another player who seemed to be on the ice the whole game. Masse was the 2023 recipient of the Michel Bergeron Trophy, as the top offensive rookie in the Q, with an incredible 62 points in 65 games for Chicoutimi. He seems to do everything well, and plays a very well-rounded game. Good stickhandling, shooting, and creativity, but needs a bit of work on his skating. 1st rounder all day long.
-D Frankie Marrelli led the way in points for Canada's D today, with 2 assists. He's only 5'11",but is a fiery competitor, and plays with an enormous chip on his shoulder. He seems to pay close attention to his defensive duties first, but he obviously has some dynamic offensive skills. 16 points in 50 games with the Ottawa 67's.
-Marrelli's teammate on the Ottawa 67's, D Henry Mews, is much more highly touted, being talked about as a potential high first-rounder in the 2024 Draft. Mews was the best D-man for Canada today IMO, and plays a poised, cerebral style. He drives play, and is very well-rounded. I can't help but think of Brandt Clarke here, as Mews plays with speed, has top-tier hockey sense, and is excellent in all situations. 31 points in 55 games this past season for Ottawa of the OHL.
-You may remember C Michael Misa as the kid who was granted exceptional status for the 2022-23 season in the OHL for Saginaw- where he put up 56 points in 45 games. He only just turned 16 in February, and may be the top prospect in the 2025 Draft. No points today, but his skill was evident late in the third when Canada was pressing- he had a few individual efforts in carrying the puck through traffic for a few shots that almost ended up being goals. He was a bit invisible the rest of the game, but he was another player I was looking for.
-D Zayne Parekh wasn't as effective as I expected today, but he's one to watch for next summer's draft. He's a dynamic offensive defenseman who loves to carry the puck, and drive play. Excellent speed, stickhandling, and vision, and he plays a good 200-ft game. Parekh loves to activate, and to shoot- he broke the OHL's record for goals by an U-17 defenseman this past year with 21, and had more goals than assists in the regular season and playoffs. 21 goals and 37 points in 50 games with Saginaw of the OHL.
-D Sam Dickinson wore an "A" today, and had an assist, but was minus-3. He's huge (6'3"), skates well, and can really move the puck. Looking for more from him, as he's yet another potential first-rounder. 23 points in 62 games for London this season.
-I noticed D Mitja Jokinen quite a bit, even though he finished with only 1 assist, and was minus-2. He's very diminutive right now, but he's an excellent skater and loves to carry the puck. Looks like a great puck-mover, and transitional player, but needs to be more attentive in his own zone. He played at the U-18's, with 1 assist in 5 games.
-D Nilopekka Muhonen finished with 1a, +1, and was solid. He's a top prospect on D, being 6'4" with an excellent skating stride, top-notch puck-moving ability, good two-way acumen, and some offensive ability. He's one to watch.
-No Konsta Helenius or Aron Kiviharju for the Finns.

Next up for Canada is Slovakia, tomorrow.

Last edited by Sandman; 08-01-2023 at 02:41 AM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post: